6 Aug 2012

Sentry Gun Activated


My first thoughts I must admit were 'lol campers gonna be mad, they mad'.


After thinking for a bit though and reading through this thread.....


I don't personally enjoy getting caught in gatecamps, I don't do gatecamps myself nor do I fight on gates that often. I tend to die to them a lot of the time if they have instalock tacklers or I am not flying a frig that day but I tend to man up and throw up a begrudging gf in local and be on my way. I also tend to avoid the most obvious camps, cos you know you do get used to where they usually are.

So perhaps I should be all for this proposal? I'm not convinced. Part of me wants more people in lowsec, part of me does not.

This proposal (it must be noted that this is still only at the idea stage) does come across as a kind of lowsec stealth nerf attempt and a poor one at that. I don't think this is the way to 'fix' gatecamps, how do you define a fix for this tactic/profession and who are you trying to appease? And why? There are no answers here or am I missing them? Gimping fleet combat on gates and spoiling certain avenues for pvp is not the answer. Should the fixing lay somewhere with risk-free orca tactics, remote repping and t3 boosters in pos's, I dunno?



I get the feeling that somebody 'upstairs' wants to attract more people to lowsec? May I even border on the edge and suggest this change may in fact be directed at attracting new players to the game? New subscriptions and more honey for the pot? I am all for this more people in lowsec debate to an extent and do think that more people will come to lowsec if they know that the horrible gatecamp isn't going to trouble them on the way in as a result of these planned changes.

But I don't really like this kind of easy eve.

As a wide-eyed noob I was attracted to lowsec because of the horrors that I might find behind every stargate. Nervous excitement and the not knowing was like a shot of adrenaline for me. This playstyle that you are trying to fix was one of the very reasons I subscribed to this game in the first place! It came across as brutal and not a very nice place--I don't want to play in nice places. There will be other potential customers out there who are drawn to the evil and mystic ways of eve, if you change eve to an easy mode then you will miss out on these potential new customers. I know for a fact I wouldn't have played if I knew it was all safe and policed.

Are people really scared of lowsec? If so and they are holding off jumping into an eve subscription because of ooh scary camp then they probably aren't going to last in the long run anyway in all honesty. Are these the people we want in eve? People who play games as if they are in a daycare centre. People who don't like risk.

I don't think I do.


A great man who went by the name of Snypes once said....


Low sec in EVE reminds me of an inner city ghetto. Kids with ski masks ganging up on someone and threatening to stick em if he doesn't give up his chain and the $5 in his wallet. Pimped out "economy" class space ships flying around because nice rides get left on a stack of bricks with nothing left but the stale air freshener you were supposed to change 5 months ago. Seedy people hanging outside the stations wearing aviators, smoking a cigarette, eyeing people up until they see someone weak enough they can take his pocket change to get themselves a cup of coffee. You all get the idea.


Then, there's the rest of EVE. They know low sec exists. They certainly have opinions on it and about the people that choose to call it their home. They spot the low sec gates on their overview while surfing the calm relaxing currents of high sec in their luxury billion isk Sundays best. Or pass nearby on patrol scanning down the latest sites in 0.0 turf. They even give advice to newer players about low sec based on their assumptions of what it's like. This can be both hilarious and really annoying to players who actually live or know life in low sec. It's like me thinking I'm privileged, intelligent, and amazing enough to make wild statements based on assumption that high sec is full of nothing but a bunch of bumbling retards who couldn't find their way out of the noob zone because it's too big :P... It's not necessarily true but if I spammed it in the rookie channel using ALL CAPS some people might believe me.



This attempt at sentry gun change is not what lowsec needs right now.




MB.




2 comments:

  1. If it's to get new players to low sec then I can see why CCP want to put these changes in. I don't however like the changes. Sure nobody like to be raped by a gate camp but it happens. It's part of the game and if some corps want to gate camp all they long then they should be allowed to play the game the way they like. I do see a good point though. Combine these changes and the forthcoming changes to mining barges I can see a lot more miners trying their hand in low sec. This excites me because I have an alt that just LOVES popping miners :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't made up my mind how the new changes will play out. I do think the risk/reward is out of balance for low-sec with the exception of FW. To risk beating an old drum, the way to increase low-sec activity is to bring more missions/rewards/incentives to the area. Make it worth it for them to come to low-sec, lose a few ships to gatecamps, yet have the chance to earn some good isk if that is what they are after.

    Build it can they will come.

    ReplyDelete